Sunday, September 7, 2014

Inks and pen nibs

Okay, I guess I'll take a break from the regular ol' art stuff, and let you guys take a peek at the supplies I use for drawing! DickBlick and Utrecht are really good stores to purchase your supplies from. If you're a student, please take advantage of the student discounts! But when it comes to my inks, pencils, pen nibs, and other drawing supplies, I always get my goodies from JetPens.com.
These are a few of the brushes I like to use for various line work. You can buy these bad boys at any art store. To make broad brush strokes, or cover a large mass of color, I like to use the sumi ink brushes. They're originally used for Japanese calligraphy, but these brushes make beautiful lines in your drawings. The cool thing about them is that they're handmade and the bristles are goat hair!
More tools of destruction!
When it comes to pen nibs, I can be a bit picky. I love adding meticulous detail on my work, and the perfect nib can do the job well. I don't like using the drawing pens with built-in ink and nibs; I always think of that as a weird concept. I bought almost every nib that JetPens have available, and my favorite are any of the Deleter and Tachikawa brands. Most packs comes with 3-4 nibs, and they're usually under $5. I have a tendency to destroy a lot of nibs (hahah), so I like to stock up. So, I like to buy a 10-pack to stay well supplied; these guys run $13 a pack. The Tachikawa Spoon models are what I've been using lately. These guys can make various line thickness, which I really enjoy. They are my all-around nib. So if you're a beginner, the Spoon model is a good nib to play around with before venturing to other sizes.

Tachikawa also offer pen nib holders! Pen holders can be either plastic or wood. Some hold one size nibs as others can hold different sizes. In the photos above, the pen nib is the Tachikawa School Model pen nib. It can produce really beautiful crisp lines. When I'm adding detail to face, especially around the eyes, this nib help me get the job done.

Inks! You can never go wrong with ink. My favorite inks are anything from Deleter and for my all-around, use-and-abuse work I love to go with the Kuretake Manga Ink. HOLY CRAP, I can not express how much I friggin' love this ink! It is black carbon ink, and it is waterproof. Waterproof inks are so important to me, because I like to work messy and I use a lot of water in my drawings. If dried ink runs with the water, I could ruin a piece in a heartbeat. When it dries, it is black black BLACK. It also have a great glossy finish. It will only "grey" if you mixed some water in the wet ink. However, be sure to wear clothes you won't mind messing up, b/c this ink will stain and will not come off! I would also recommend to keep it away from Copic markers, though. The two don't get along.
Deleter has a great variety of inks, and my favorite is the Deleter Manga Ink Black 3. Just like Kuretake, it's waterproof. But unlike the Kuretake, it has a matte finish and it's safe with markers! I love to use this ink on my colored pieces; it is really friendly with watercolors. This ink is a dollar more than Kuretake. It is currently running on JetPens for $9.25.

I guess that's all for my blabber about inks and supplies. I hope you find this useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment