Monday, October 30, 2017

How I lost my (Artist's Alley) Virginity... An EXP Con 2017 Recap!

EXP Con, held annually at the World Golf Village in St. Augustine, Florida, was a video game convention that started a few years ago. It was very successful for a small con. But then... EXP went silent for over half a decade.

Finally, in the summer of 2017, EXP made their announcement of return. They are coming back with a BANG because they have announced their star studded guest appearances: the voice cast of the beloved "Chocobros," the main characters of the hit PS4 game Final Fantasy XV. EXP also announced the return of Mega64, a comedy group who base their skits on video game culture, nerdcore rapper Mega Ran, and another voice actor who worked on the famous Witcher video game series.
The main characters of Square Enix's Final Fantasy XV.
I have been a fan of their past conventions. So naturally I thought, "Uh, fuck yeah I'm going to this thing." Then I realized I still haven't accomplished my goal of participating at an artist's alley, a goal I've been wanting to do since college. I was scared shitless, but I filled out an application, sent in a portfolio, and prayed I would get accepted... and I did. Holy shit. The excitement and happiness rushed in, and now... now what? I've shopped at other artist's alleys and art fairs, but I have no clue of how to really operate a table. Just sell my prints and that's it... right? Right?

While I was producing my merchandise, I also did extensive research of how to make an eye-catching table layout, how to deal with customers (con goers are a W H O L E different crowd), how to deal with other artists and tablemates (yes, there can be petty drama!), and most importantly, HOW TO HANDLE THE FINANCIAL STUFF. Trying to be an artist alley participant sure is EXPEN$IVE. Different artists have different goals when it comes to this kind of scene. Some want to simply make money; some want exposure. I want a bit of both, but honestly I am in this to make money.

I had to teach myself the nitty gritty details of finances and businesses in the art world. I've graduated from UNF with a fine arts degree, and when I was in college they definitely do not teach you about the nasty world of this money stuff. Usually I'm left with an impression that to make it in the art world, you need to learn how to hustle or find someone who can do it for you. I barely had anyone to rely on, since most of my friends are not too familiar with this market. My sister did a table... once. (And she had one again this year!) My friends who are in the art world trying to sell work make their money through sales at galleries.


Luckily I had the internet, and thank the HEAVENS for tumblr artists who are willing to share their trade secrets, tips, and stories through various AA blogs and forums.

So... fast forward! The EXP Con weekend is finally over! And this was DEFINITELY the experience!
I learned that a lot of people appreciate original art. Yes, I've had some folks who tell me, "This isn't my cup of tea." However, it was such a relief to learn folks loved my work. Some even told me I was their favorite!


I was super blessed to have awesome table neighbors. My sister Erica's was only one table away, and the artist between us was a seamstress named Allison Perry. It was really cool because we all watched over each others' tables if one of us had to go to bathroom, get food, etc. I left my table for over an hour when I wanted to get signatures from the Chocobros, and I am so grateful that Allison and Erica agreed to watch my table. However I won't leave my table for over an hour ever again. :( The table/booth is my responsibility so I do feel bad that I had other people babysitting it.


Stickers are hot sellers, and from this I think I want to stick to the stickers direction. I am designing a washi tape I'm hoping to reveal by next year. I will be adding more to my sticker inventory, and this time I'll especially pay more attention to create designs that feature famous characters from comcis to anime.  The highlight of EXP was Final Fantasy XV, so I didn't find it was a surprise that my Prompto stickers sold out. (I have more available at my online shop!) However, I should featured all of the Chocobros. I had a lot of people ask me for Gladilous stickers.

Prompto, 2017, ink on paper
Shirts and patches barely moved, but some folks requested for Mitsuko to be a shirt. Other than that, I will not make shirts till midway next year. My patches were a design of an OC, but I learned the audience wants famous characters.
Mitsuko, 2012, lithograph on paper
I won't be producing any more merch until next year. I will see you guys in December for Mandarin Mini Con, and then in March 2018 I will be at Collective Con. I hope to learn more, because I feel my journey as a regular con artist is finally taking off.

No comments:

Post a Comment