Thursday, October 19, 2017

Mariachi Noctis Charms Made by Chillypig

PLEASE NOTE: This is a non-paid review. I paid market price for the product I am reviewing. The charms I am reviewing were not gifts or promo material.

Mariachi Noctis! The "right side" (the side that is supposed to be viewed) is shown through the clear acrylic. 
This is my first review of making my first acrylic charms produced by Chillypig Creations.

I've been wondering where artists participating at artists' alleys at cons got their cellphone and keychain charms made. I have done a google search, and I would be bombarded with all sorts of information leaving me confused. Luckily, I found a very handy and informative website called How to Be A Con Artist, a tumblr blog about operating an artist's alley table.

I will also list many more Artist's Alley info websites and blogs at the end of this post, in case you are interested in participating at a con and producing your own merchandise.

The HTBACA blog has a page that listed the most well-known printers among AA artists that produce acrylic charms. I decided to go with Chillypig because most artists I follow on tumblr and Instagram had their charms produced with them. I also made my decision to go with this company because they are a printer based in California, and I wanted to support USA-based businesses. Other very popular printers among the AA community are located outside the US, such as Zap! Creatives, based in the UK, and Vograce, based in China.

*NOTE: If anyone knows of a printer based in Florida, please let me know!

Chillypig's "How-To" page has helped me tremendously of how to make my template for the charm. Lynn, the owner, is very helpful and quick to answer emails, usually within a day or two. I wanted to make the Noctis charms have images on both sides, but I made one side black on accident. Lynn caught it, brought to my attention, and fixed it right away. Even though it was a hiccup on my part, I was not charged for it, which is so kind of Lynn.

I ordered fifty (quantity), 3" charms printed on clear, matte acrylic. The artwork is printed on one side, revealing the artwork facing the "right way" through the acrylic. The artwork on the other side, which is the same Noctis art just in reverse, is printed with a clear gloss. The gloss was an option I chose, and it is for an additional cost.

The back side of the charm. Notice the "speckles." That's the gloss reflecting from the light. 
I think the quality of the charms are AMAZING. The customer service presented by Lynn is wonderful. Chillypig has many more acrylic options like ones with glitter! I will be making another purchase with them soon.

I have read on multiple AA blogs, forums, and sites that Chillypig is the most affordable as compared to Zap! Creatives, Ink It Labs, and JiMi Agency. Still take note that producing charms are expensive.

Please take note: when making charms that is suitable for BOTH a cellphone and keychain, make the artwork that will fit a "square" format. My Noctis design is an oval shape, and even though they are printed at 3 inches (that is quite large), the charms are more fit for a keychain. This was quite the learning experience.

Chillypig does have tutorials on their pages, but I did find a detailed step-by-step guide to making double-sided charms: http://shattered-earth.tumblr.com/post/127487301143/trying-to-explain-how-double-sided-acrylic-charms

I will order charms from other printers too, and I would like to compare and make reviews for them. If you are planning on making charms or acrylic standees, have Chillypig Creations help you out!

Resources for Artist's Alleys:
How to Be a Con Artist
Artist Alley Network International
AA Toast
The Angry Artist Alley

Close up of the glossy side.
The glossy side come with these adhesives to protect the shiny surface. The key chains were not included. They were assembled by me.

The thickness of the charms. T H I C C 🍑 

The tool box used to store my keychain parts. Makes life easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment