Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Blocktober Fest and QUITTING ART?!


Sorry for the hiatus, folks. I've been on a bit of an art block lately, while searching for (a better) day jobs, working out, playing a lot of video games, and reading a lot of manga. I've made a disturbing announcement among family and friends that I will be quitting art. Well, that's not entirely the case:
I'm going back to school to start my training as a CNA. I'm done with the two-/four-year degrees (at least for now), and I need a change of scenery in regards to my day job. Maybe if I enjoy nursing, I may get my A.S. degree. In the long run, I hope to combine art and nursing and maybe pursue a career in art therapy.

So, as for now, my plans of obtaining my Master's will have to sit on the shelf.

Anyways, in the photo above, this is a peak at the relief print block I am currently working on for Blocktoberfest. Blocktoberfest is a large printmaking event where the students from the art departments of Univeristy of North Florida, Jacksonville University, Flagler College, and Florida State College, and of course, working artists of the Jacksonville area come together and print large images (these things can go up to 8 ft!) by using a steamroller. My piece isn't that big. It's only 4 ft tall.

My print will be somewhat Halloween related. The design is inspired by 2D indie horror games, such as Ib, Mad Father, Witch's House, and, the most famous, Yume Nikki. I loved the idea of a DIY video game, in which the creators simply used a system called RPG Maker to make these games, and they use their own artwork, story, and sometimes text.
Example of Yume Nikki's gameplay.

These games lack gore, but the intense volume of CREEPINESS makes up for it. The great thing about these indie horror games is that it does force the audience (the player) to keep going, continue the story, through trials which arise curiosity. But you know you really don't want to!

The piece features a girl protagonist, bruised, blooded, and armed with a flimsy knife. On her side shows the inventory/item list, something most gamers may recognize when they see my print. The list features a variety of items, some that could be useful in the protagonist's journey, as others are useless, and some may be dangerous. 

Could you make this character survive and help to reach her happy ending? Or will you miss a step or two, and live to see that bad ending?

No comments:

Post a Comment